The Green House
Mr. Raymond Green, a founding member of the Florida
Historical Society, hoped that his family home could become a museum honoring the history of the Village of Florida. At his passing, Ray bequeathed the Green family home to the Florida Historical Society.
The Green family in Florida spanned four generations and 173 years. It is the desire of the Florida Historical Society to honor the wishes of Ray, and his family, and create a museum showing the chronology of the development of a village and farming community.
Green family contributions have included:
Henry Green (1818-1883) established the family
home at 13 Bridge Street in 1842.
Henry Green, in 1848, built a blacksmith and
carriage shop next to the house. Samuel Green
(1840-1911) continued to create iron products in the
family's blacksmith shop. Products included nails,
horseshoes, wagon wheels and beyond. This was a
business that was foundational for the village
community at that time. In 1892 the shop also made
sleighs, rollers and harvesting equipment and other
In 1885, Samuel Green was one of the 16
residents who started the Florida Fire Department.
Samuel, Fred (1880-1975) and Ray (1918-2012) Green,
among others, were superintendents of the Florida
Cemetery Association since the beginning.
In 1890, Samuel Green started the Florida
Waterworks Company, Inc. for a dependable supply
of fresh water. Fred Green, in 1909, became president. Ray was the 3rd generation of the Green family with the Florida Waterworks. He served as the Florida Waterworks' president of operations and manager.
In 1901, Samuel Green and others started the Florida
Samuel Green, in 1910, was one of the original backers in bringing electricity to the Village of Florida.
The idea of organizing the first National Bank of Florida was first brought up by Samuel Green in 1910. The original architectural drawing was drafted by Fred
Green. This building is still standing on North Main Street.
Fred Green serviced the numerous windmills that were erected throughout Orange County. Climbing to the top of these windmills to change the oil was just one of the duties of this work.
Ray Green served in the Army's 31st Infantry Division
from 1942-47 and was a recipient of three Purple Hearts. He was chaplain of the American Legion Post #1250 in Florida, a member of Disabled American Veterans National Amputation Chapter 12 and a past commander of Warwick V.F.W. #4662.
Ray Green was an exempt member of the Florida Fire
Department, member of the Florida Fire Department
Benevolent Association, Explorer Advisor, Scout Master and Assistant Scout Master of Troop #44, Florida, past president of the S.S. Seward Alumni Association, member of the Florida Lions Club, historian with the Florida Historical Society, member of the Florida Presbyterian Church and past president of the Middletown Stamp Club.
Ray, his brother Frank (1913-1934), sister Helen Green
(1921-2004) and Jean (Green) Griffith (1929) all attended S.S. Seward Institute. Helen was class valedictorian of her senior class. Jean continues to be an active member of the alumni association.
Jean (Green) Griffith's children, Karen (Griffith) deFur-Maxwell (1952) and Alan Griffith (1956) continue the family's ties to the Village of Florida and the preservation of the Green Family legacy. They are members of the Florida Historical Society.